Shared Housing is when two or more unrelated individuals share a home or apartment with separate leases with the landlord. Clients that choose this housing option would share the costs of living with a chosen housemate(s).The State of Nevada has the greatest shortage of affordable housing in any state in the country; this option opens up larger units to clients served by the homeless response system.
Shared Housing Information for Case Managers
The Shared Housing Option is just that- an option your client can select when thinking about moving into permanent housing. The option allows your client to share a permanent housing residence with an unrelated individual or individuals and can help maintain stable housing after placement.
Some topics that you may want to talk about with your client when discussing the Shared Housing Option:
- Over thirty percent of the US population lives in a shared housing situation
- Does your client already have someone that they would like as their housemate?
- Depending on who your client is matched with, they could be housed with someone from a different agency or program and their case management and/or financial assistance may be different from their housemate(s)
- Your client will have a chance to discuss their deal breakers with any potential housemate(s)
- Your client will sign a separate lease with the landlord from their housemate(s)
- Your client will sign a Housemate Agreement with anyone that they live with
- When your client meets potential housemate(s), they need to be open and honest with what they would be able to tolerate and what they are looking for in a housemate
If your client is interested in shared housing, please help your client fill out the Shared Housing Preference Form in order to get matched to potential housemates.
Shared Housing Case Manager FAQs
Shared Housing Talking Points for Case Managers
Shared Housing Brochure
Flowchart for Shared Housing- coming soon!
Roles and Responsibilities in Shared Housing- coming soon!
Shared Housing Information for Clients
Please contact the Shared Housing Coordinator at email@example.com or by phone at 702-462-2253 with questions.